Adding a teen driver to an existing auto policy can be challenging for all parties involved.
Parents are anxious about their teen driving and the teen is usually, not always, raring to go, go, go. A lot of the time, parents suffer from "sticker shock" when faced with an associated premium increase. You might be wondering how teens are driving today. We'll be happy to share with you so you can understand the risks teen drivers pose so they can save money and most importantly, prepare them for safe driving.
10 Driving Stats That Might Surprise You
- On average 6 teens die and 650+ are injured every day in the US because of motor vehicle crashes.
- The risk of a crash is higher among 16 to 19 year olds than any other age group.
- Their fatal crash per mile driven is nearly 3 times the rate for drivers ages 20 and over.
- 6 out of 10 teen crashes are caused by driver distraction.
- The fatal crash risk increases for each teenage passenger in a teen driver's car.
- 1 in 3 teens take their eyes off the road when app notifications come on while driving.
- 88% of teens who self-identify as safe drives admit to multi-tasking while driving.
- Crash risk is particularly high during the first months a teen is licensed.
- Teens are more likely than older drivers to speed and follow other vehicles at an unsafe distance.
- Compared with other age groups, teens have among the lowest rate of seat belt use.
So how do you keep teen drivers safe behind the wheel?
Signing up your teen for an approved driver education program can not only reduce their crash risk, but can potentially save you money with the driver training discounts offered. Before your teen hits the road, set clear rules and expectations of their behavior while behind the wheel - such as a no-phone run and passenger limit. Help your teen develop safe habits by regularly observing their driving and providing constructive feedback. Keeping you protected. Rick All Access Insurance in Littleton, CO, who represents multiple insurance companies as a “Broker” and provides products for auto, home, commercial, workers compensation, and much more! Call us today for a free quote at (303) 932-1700