Halloween can be stressful for parents concerned about kids navigating the neighborhood safely at night – especially when their kids start trick-or-treat independently with their friends.
Here are 3 of our favorite tips to let kids stretch their independence while keeping them safe:
- “Trick-or-Treat” in the Zone: Designate a trick-or-treating zone. Set some rules around where they can and can not go. That way you know where they are and they know they must stay within the perimeters.
- Easy Pick-Ups for Little Monsters: Consider them taking one of the adults cell phones with them and ensure they know how to dial you and 911 if needed.
- Beware of Ghoulish Drivers: Halloween is one of the most dangerous days of the year to be on the road. Have your roadside emergency number with you on this eve and ensure you have roadside assistance, crash detection and emergency response on hand.
We’re big believers in real-world safety tips too. Here are a few more of our favorites:
- Pick Neighborhoods Wisely: Do your research to find a safe, well-lit and quiet neighborhood where other families are trick-or-treating.
- Create a Parent Group Chat: Create a group chat with the other parents on trick-or-treat day for real-time shared updates of neighborhood activity.
- Gear Up with Flashlights & Reflective Patches: Arm your kids with flashlights and light-up costume props like light sabers and lanterns. Put reflective bands or tape all over your child’s candy bag and costume!
- Give the Safety Rundown: Prior to trick-or-treating, have a quick family huddle to make sure kids are clear on all the rules of the road (i.e. look both ways before crossing).
Follow these tips and you’re sure to have a spook-tac-ular Halloween! Share your Halloween pictures with us in the comments below. Keeping you and your children protected. Rick All Access Insurance in Littleton, CO, who represents multiple insurance companies as a “Broker” and provides products for auto, home, commercial, workers compensation, and much more! Call us today for a free quote at (303) 932-1700