Colorado Church Insurance - Part II

May 29, 2019

Share this post:

The Most Important Things You Need To Cover

Churches have always been a place of safety and security.

But the reality is our world involves risks. And churches aren’t immune.

Knowing how to properly insure your church will give you confidence that an unforeseeable occurrence will not end your ministry.

Here are 4 more things every church insurance policy should have.

Special Event Coverage

Many churches hold special events from time to time such as Easter egg hunts or fall festivals. Depending on the nature of the event it may or may not be covered under your current policy.

Location of the event:

For events occurring off of church property it is very likely that you will need a special event policy to have coverage.

Aside from location, there are many other factors that will determine whether your current church insurance policy will cover your special event or if a separate policy is needed. It’s best to make sure  you’re working with a church insurance specialist and to contact your agent at the earliest planning stages of the event.

Insurance for Missions

Missions can present a variety of church insurance needs.

A. Foreign or Domestic

If the mission your church is taking part in or sponsoring is outside of the United States you will most likely need to separate policy for the mission.

B. Worldwide Liability

Most liability policies only provide coverage for claims that occur inside the United States. If your church is conducting missions outside of the United States you will need a policy that will provide coverage abroad.

C. Travel Medical

Missionaries traveling outside the United States will need access to medical coverage in the event of an emergency.

D. Kidnap and Ransom

For travel in some developing countries coverage for Kidnap and Ransom is very important to provide reimbursement from losses associated with kidnap, extortion, and hijacking.

Covering Your Church Van or Bus

Every church that has a van or bus needs a special policy to make sure they are covered. The policy that covers your church van or bus has two parts:

A. Coverage for other people and property if there is an accident: If your church van or bus is in an accident that is your fault and causes injury to another person or damages their property, this portion of the policy would provide coverage.

B. Coverage for damage to your bus or van if it is your fault: This part is for if your bus or van is damaged and it’s your fault. This coverage is often called “comp & collision” or “full coverage” on a personal auto policy but it works the same way for your church van or bus.

Churches who use 15 passenger vans are at the most risk. Because these vehicles were originally designed to carry cargo instead of people they do not have many safety features. Sadly rollover accidents are quite common and often involve fatal injuries.

Protections for Accusations Against Your Church Board

A very common type of legal action taken against churches is when a claim is made against a church’s board of directors. The church insurance coverage for this is called “Directors and Officers Insurance” and it is extremely important:

A. Coverage for Behavior: Basically this church insurance policy covers your church if the board makes a decision, such as appropriation of funds, and a church member or other party sues.

B. As with other coverage, you do not have to have done anything wrong: In modern America anyone can sue anybody for anything. What does this mean for your church? It means you have to protect yourself with the right kind of insurance.

Keeping you protected.




All Access Insurance in Littleton, CO,  who represents multiple insurance companies as a “Broker” and provides products for auto, home,  commercial, workers compensation, and much more! Call us today for a free quote at (303) 932-1700.